Total Pageviews

15.7.07

Jashn-E-Azadi:Story of freedom in Kashmir


By B Jayakishore

On Friday it was a pleasant chat with Sanjay Kak, film maker from Shrinagar, Kashmir. He was in Bangalore for screening of his film 'Jashn-E-Azadi', a two hours and 19 minutes film which raises disturbing questions about freedom in Kashmir, while exploring the past and present situations at valley.

'Most of us believe that Kashmir issue has become only reason for 'India-Pak' rivalry over these years. But very few know that the reality is different than it was portrayed in media. In fact, Issue is not only related to the people of Kashmir, but also to the people of whole country. Heart breaking incidents, bloody struggle in the name of freedom (Azadi) is really alarming. Shockingly, on the day of independence i.e., on 15th August, nobody in the valley comes out of their home! It really incited me to find out reason for such silent protest. Also this is the question I have raised in my film ‘Jashn-E-Azadi'’says Sanjay Kak.

'Basically, Iam a Kashmiri. We have a home in Shrinagr. But I had left the place on 1980. After a long break, that is on 2003, when I went back to my home in Shrinagar, I was strucked to see the empty streets of Shrinagar on August 15th which happens to be our independence day!'

'I never saw a single celebration in anywhere in the valley, other than government flag hoisting ceremony which completes at around 9.30am. It haunted me like any thing that people here are protesting silently for some reason. Later I understood that they have all decided to not to participate in Independence Day celebrations until the permanent solution for the Kashmir issue is sorted out'

'I found it Interesting. Whole world knows Kashmir issue as mere Indo-Pak conflict. But in real it is much more than that. My film is an attempt to understand the silence'

'I started shooting for the film in 2003 and completed it in 2007. Obviously, I faced some problems while shooting in the valley as there is no much freedom for media. Nobody dares to tell you truth there. Instead you encounter questions like 'Who are you? Why should I tell you the truth...' says Sanjay.

'Also you are not allowed to shoot ‘ALL’ there. But ultimately the freedom lies with you to tell the truth, which you have understood with what is available to shoot' he adds.

'First screening of my film was held at Delhi. After that it was at Shrinagr. The response was awesome. Some people had tears in their eyes! Which really gave me immense satisfaction over my work as a film maker'

'After Shrinagar, screenings were held at Patna, Shillong, Guvahati, Nasik and other places. Media also gave good support because of which my film reached the audience who are really concerned about the issue. I have even created a blog called www.jashneazadifilm.com, which went on receiving as many as 20 thousand hits! I have a plan to make it as a full fledged website, through which interested can buy DVD's of my works. I think such measures are important nowadays to make these type of ventures self supportive rather than writing for grants'

Sanjay Kak has been making documentaries since 1983. 'Kinor ke log' was his first documentary. The film ‘Words on water’, on Narmada issue was screened at Brazil environmental festival.

'Today with technology has become 'Handy', Producing a documentary film is not a cumbersome task. Within one and a half lakhs you can have good digital camera. Post production works can be done in desktop computers'

'Well, nowadays there are several funding agencies which give post production grants for your work. Only thing you need to do is to send a DVD with rough cut of your work. I have received grant from Jan-vrijnan fund, Holland. They even screen your film in International Documentary film festival (IDFA) which is held at Amsterdam in every November'

No comments: